Rescue or not
Today I am going to write a bit about rescue centres and whether it is a good idea to rescue a dog or not.
The good things
- You are helping a dog that might not have had such a nice life so far
- It is cheaper than getting a puppy
- The money goes towards helping other dogs in need
- You may want an older dog because it’s already trained
- A puppy may be to boisterous
Reasons or not get a rescue
- Many rescue dogs have either a reason there in rescue (not good behaviour) or their previous owners have treated them badly which can result in aggressiveness
- Rescue dogs are generally mixed breeds and therefore have no pedigree so if you want to compete in the show ring it’s best to get a puppy
- Unwanted behaviour like being shy and therefore aggressive towards children or something else can happen with rescues because of negative experiences so they may need experienced handling
- Because you can’t tell what breeds are in some rescues because their a mongrel they can be a bit unpredictable because you don’t really know their breed traits.
If you do choose to buy a rescue then make sure you are not just buying it because you feel sorry for it and that you buy from a reputable and good rescue centre.