Photo courtesy of http://www.dogster.com/
Most of us know that smell is the dogs “strongest” sense, here are some facts:
- Some dogs are trained to sniff out: illnesses, landmines and drugs.
- A dogs smell is around 1000 times better than us
- Dogs noses need to be wet for them to work
- Dog scent search teams can sniff out mines than manual de-miners and can sniff out plastic mines that can’t be found with most other detectors
- . An average dog has around 200 million nasal olfactory receptors whereas humans have about 5 million.Bloodhounds are probably the best breed for sniffing with 300 million nasal olfactory receptors! Each receptor detects and identifies the tiny odour molecules that constantly fly off different objects.
- The part of a dogs brain dedicated to detecting smells is 40 times greater than ours!
- They can wiggle their nostrils independently
- One of the reasons why bloodhounds are amazing sniffers is because their ears flap the scent towards their nose
Wow dogs are truly great sniffers!